Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Hanging with the fine arts crowd

This graduation ceremony was really different!

The people making up the fine arts community are a breed apart from the others of us who fall into the safer, less risk-taking sector.  I showed up to watch a friend graduate.  She was one of four.  The whole school of about 60 students had shown up for the graduation.  I have never seen so many bangles and baubles, rings and piercings, tatoos and splotch-colored hair in one place.  But, the hair was the main event.  It was all about the hair - short, shaved, mohawk, faux-hawk, bobbed, tousled, frizzed, wavy - every single style possible was represented.


I was definitely a fish out of water at this graduation.  My style is very staid, conservative, blase, and without risk.  And at a place all about hair, mine stood out since it was naturally colored, had no section of it two-toned, and was not faux-anything.

But, I enjoyed the zaniness of the event.  It made me reflect on what life is really about... people who are comfortable with themselves, who don't particularly care for playing social games, who respect another person's style as much as their own, and who have a talent to offer those who aren't in their own community.

I need to go to a hair stylist graduation more often.  This one was from Toni & Guy's Academy.  It was a well done graduation.  It impressed me to have a little more flair, to live a little, to have broader horizons, and to simply enjoy the environment I have chosen and the people I have allowed in it.

No comments: