Search This Blog

Sunday, February 09, 2014

Visibility


Driving to work early this morning,, I had to exit on a ramp to change freeways.  I do this everyday, so it is really something routine.  The ramp is elevated and is one of the tallest in the whole area.  But today, driving conditions were not normal.  Fog was very thick.  Visibility was about 50 yards, a little less at some points.  As I exited, I looked up at the curve in the ramp which arcs at 90 degrees to make the switch from the north-south freeway to the east-west freeway.  I should've expected it, but I still was somewhat surprised to see that the ramp disappeared from view up into the fog.  I was reminded of skyscrapers and mountaintops that do the same thing.

I drove up into the cloud and wasn't able to see the ground below where the other freeway was supposed to be.  It gave me that mystic feeling for a few moments, like Merlin the wizard really existed and was about to send me to another place in the world.

It's been a while since I've been in the clouds.  It was fun to have a change in the routine.  It reminded me of places in our journeys that seem routine when, all of a sudden, there is a change and you can't really see the way clearly.  I just trusted that the road really was there in the sky, that the next 20 yards that I could see would lead to the 20 yards ahead of that that I couldn't see, and that the exchange of freeways would not be problematic, but smooth even though the conditions were very different from the norm and there was no chance that I could see that far ahead.  Life really does get that way at times.  You can't see the way much ahead of your next step, but the road beneath is so familiar that you have learned to trust your whereabouts regardless of the conditions.

What's ahead in life?  Who knows... but the road beneath is very familiar.

No comments: