Search This Blog

Monday, June 02, 2014

20 year difference


When my children were in grade school and younger, we used to buy party invitations for their birthday parties, write out the details of the party, and invite the friends they wanted to come. There would always be that R.S.V.P. number on the card for people to reply if they were coming or not. So phone conversations would ensue, at least 10 of them.

That was then. This is now.

I click on the Facebook icon on my computer's favorites bar to bring up my newsfeed.  I scroll down and see that there is a picture of a birthday invitation saying that I and only 24 other people have been invited to click on the card. So I do. I am taken to a screen that gives a few details of the party for this person's twin 6-year-olds and a way to reply to the invitation, meaning I acknowledge that I am coming.

If social life has changed this radically in just 20 years, I'm thinking that other things have too. For sure it applies to how information is learned.  Dinosaurs on the cusp of the KT boundary of reading and writing from books need to take note - just saying yet one more time.

No comments: