Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The corner

I really can't see around the corner of the block that I live on either literally or figuratively.  I guess that is for my own good.  I usually get mad when I get in my car, go down 12 houses to the corner and see all the cars parked on the street because the people don't want to park or walk up about a 30 degree incline of their driveways or when I see garbage carts lining the curbs on Mondays, or lament the condition of some of the yards around the corner because everyone on our street keeps their lawns in grand condition.  And there are other things as well, like the retired man at the first house as you round the corner who sits in his yard every afternoon to watch everyone else's comings and goings.

Yes, it's a good thing I don't see what is around the corner most of the time.  And in the figurative world, I would see some things that are necessary, that should happen on a regular basis, like the trash carts on the curb, but that I don't really like to see.  I would see the immediate futures of my daughter and granddaughter. Those are events that are easy to handle as they happen but that would be hard to handle if I knew them ahead of time. Knowing the deaths of people in my world would not be pleasant.  Seeing any setbacks that might occur would be hard to swallow.  Watching the eventual outcomes of the efforts I am making today to make things better could be very defeating.  Of course, seeing all the successes that happen in life would be sweet. But I don't know but that the effort that creates those successes would be affected if I knew ahead of time that they would pay off.

I really can't see around the corner of the block that I live on.  I'm good with that.  And I still have faith and hope that my greatest wish in life is somewhere around that corner.

No comments: