Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

1 second late

The book, 212 degrees: the extra degree is a motivational book about going the extra degree to change hot water into boiling water, 211 being hot water, 212 being boiling.  The idea is to create extra energy, usually called synergy, and that extra energy creates the power to do mighty things, like steam which drives a train.


I had my own little "extra" several evenings ago.  It was equally motivational for me.  I was driving home at night.  I had stopped at a traffic light in the turning lane.  The particular intersection wasn't well lit, so I couldn't really see around me very well.  When the arrow appeared to turn, I only had to wait an  extra second for the car in front of me to start her turn.  I merely followed since it was really too dark to see much of anything beyond the intersection.

Two ticks later I saw the car in front jolt sideways as if it was bouncing off of a median.  I immediately thought the car had hit the concrete dividing the north and south bound traffic, but in a fraction of a second, I thought again, There's no median in this street.  Then I saw a second car bounce off of the first.  That really surprised me because I never saw it coming.  I didn't see it enter the intersection, and I didn't hear the crashing noise of metal popping.  I merely saw two cars after the initial impact, bouncing off of each other.

My mind flashed the thought, Now if I had been the first car to go through the traffic light, the first car would have been mine, and I would be in bad shape right now.  But, it wasn't.  I was divided in time from the accident by one second... just one second... ONLY one second.  

Timing is everything.  Time it right and life works out well.  Time it wrong and life sends you crashing into things you didn't see coming.  I am proud to have been one second late.  I hope it is representative of the ventures I will have in the coming year.  I could use that timing of things.  Just one second of time dividing something shattering from something smooth, satisfying and relieving.

No comments: