Search This Blog

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Not coming, but here already


I'm pretty sure the electronic age has arrived.  When I go to eat, even at lowly McDonalds, there are a couple of TV monitors in each of the rooms.  My favorite place to go has 4 areas to eat in, and each of them has at least 6 TVs in them.  One of the rooms has a couple of screens that are about 6 feet across.  When I go to a movie theater, I see TVs in the snack area and down the halls leading to the film rooms.  Every football arena has at least one jumbo screen on the scoreboard.  On the way to work everyday, I pass at least 5 digital billboards not to mention the state's digital information boards telling of tickets, kidnappings, and number of deaths around the state.

I spent Thanksgiving with my family.  Within 10 minutes of arriving, my nephew was showing my mother on his iPad what he had looked up on ancestry.com about her lineage.  My brother was taking pictures with his new Samsung tablet and showing them all around.  My other nephew's wife was using her phone to take pictures and post them on her Facebook page.  The afternoon event was to fire homemade rockets using electronic ignitions.  Of course, there was the football game on a flatscreen in the afternoon after the meal.

Yep, it's the electronic age.  When I work, I use a laptop in every aspect of the work.  At home in off moments, I am looking up things to buy, to go somewhere, or to read the news online.  In my car on trips to anywhere and everywhere, it uses electronic power to display all the information on a couple different screens to keep everyone safe and entertained during the ride.

For my granddaughter of 2 1/2, any environment that she learns in that is less than what I am around most of the time, most days of my life, is something I will not in the least indulge even for the smallest amount of time .  Her world is electronic and will stay that way.  She  very likely will have to deal with artificial intelligence, and she will be ready.  She will go where I only dream to be  at present.  I am glad for her.

No comments: