Search This Blog

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Turning thoughts

I'm here tonight on my patio watching the sun disappear below the horizon and the skies gradually change from bright blue to dark blue to gray to star-lit black.  Gazing at the transformation is not mystical.  It happens everyday in the same way.   But, it is thought-provoking.


Watching the change allows me to ponder the type of day it was as it disappears.  Was it a productive day?  Did I accomplish something of note today?  Did I make the day work in my favor?  Was someone else better today because I was in their day?

It also reminds me of the process of the daily phenomenon that is so much larger than I am.   A planet turns on its axis in the middle of nowhere in space as it rotates around the sun and spins away from the sun so that it faces only the darkness and coldness of nothingness.  I am but a speck on the planet peering out into the vastness.

On one hand, my life is meaningful because it makes a difference to me how I live.  On the other hand, my life is completely swallowed and overshadowed by the insignificance of life on one planet among hundreds of billions of them.  It's good for me to contemplate both the importance and insignificance together I think.  That perspective keeps me from arrogance, but allows me to make a mark in the world in some manner or another.

No comments: