Search This Blog

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Hybrasils in life

The lost island of Hybrasil is a modern enigma.  It was a circular island off the coast of Ireland that appeared on maps as far back as 1325.  Today it doesn't exist as an island although shallow waters exist in the ocean where its location is supposed to have been.

It was reported to have been a beautiful island, one that contained magical inhabitants and a lot of gold.  One explorer who visited said that he received gold from the inhabitants to take home with him.  It's a myth today since no one has been able to find the island, but it presents the idea of trusting people who have been to a place moderns only hear about.


Experience is much like Hybrasil.  We go through things often creating memories of them, but when we move on with life, the memories get discarded or fade.  That's a science all its own, and loss of memory of experiences is quite common.  But, it's those memories like Hybrasil that create the interest in our lives.  We have pictures of them, we remember the facts about them, but they have ceased to exist in our present lives.  

We still have the maps drawn by the people who visited Hybrasil.  We still have their writings and stories.  But we have no islands today.  I like this myth because I like good mysteries of the past.  But, I also know that I share this experience.  My most magical memories of particular places with a particular face are mapped into my mind's wiring for recall whenever I wish.  But, in my current world, I can't see or touch what then existed.

I believe in the majestic tales of this enchanted, once beautiful island because I believe in my own enchanted, once beautiful time and place.  The island was reportedly the center of an advanced civilization that made life around it so wonderful.  And that is my true story as well of an advanced time in my life that touched me wonderfully.  Long live enchanted isles.

No comments: