Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Mismeasure

The state measures how much students know about a subject. They do it once a year in most grades. I cannot figure out for the life of me what they think they are measuring. And I cannot figure out the mentality that says measuring everything is necessary. It sounds much like a control freak wanting to call all the shots just because he or she doesn't trust anyone else to call shots. One of my favorite books is called The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Jay Gould. It definitely raises the question of the existence of intelligence in the first place and the question of whether or not it can be measured if it exists in the second place.

When I deal with my own inner person, I know that growth takes place over time. But, that growth has a learning curve and some failures along the way. I don't try to gauge it once a year. I sometimes go a long time without thinking that growth has or should have taken place. I sometimes start seeing growth spurts everywhere I look. But, constant measuring of something that takes place internally is probably not a good idea. Recognition of growth I support - if needed, if wanted. I hope the state never makes it its business to deal with anything other than knowledge. They have totally screwed up the knowledge business. I prefer the great delight I get when occasionally I "see" growth of some aspect or another of my inner person.

No comments: