Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Friendship


My college roommate came by today for a short visit. He was passing through after spending time in the cool mountains of New Mexico. It's always good to visit with him. He represents someone who knew me back when... who has known me throughout the happenings of life as the years have passed. We get together periodically; it probably works out to be about once every 3 years. We have shared the ups and downs of both of our lives - with kids and spouses. In a number of ways we are alike. He's a bit more reserved than I am and much more informal. Whereas, I analyze language, he analyzes the human mind. So, we have a lot to say about speech communication. If I ever need a psychological lift, he's the go-t0 guy.

It's good to have life-long friends. They help you measure your success or failure in life. They have some history to compare your present status to, for showing growth in both character and philosophical viewpoint. I'm grateful for such a friend.

No comments: