Search This Blog

Sunday, July 03, 2011

#1 invention


According to a radio report last week, 50 engineers were sent a list of inventions recently. They were to rank the top 25 inventions of all time. Of the top 5, the personal computer was 5th. I couldn't believe it. I thought that was the driving force behind everything modern. More surprising was the radio, which came in third. But, after thinking about it, I can see that that allowed the world to start its march toward globalization.

The number one invention of all time was the smart phone. Really no surprise there. It allows one to control everything in her/his environment if (s)he wants to. For example, I have an app that controls the thermostat, the alarm system, the door locks to the house, a light, motion sensors, and a camera inside the house. In fact, I set the temperature of my house just the other day from my phone. Love it. The smart phone also contains a movie camera. I love these. A person can send and receive videos of people that are important and special to him/her. My daughter and I exchange still pictures through text occasionally and keep each other updated that way instead of through words. But, if a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is that to the tenth power. They're the most special of all the features to me. They record the precious moments of precious people in our lives, including the sounds that bring a smile to the lips. Love them!!! The smart phone is a great choice for the number one invention of all time.

2 comments:

Gary Willis said...

Was refrigerated air conditioning high up on the list?

Dwordman said...

It wasn't one of the top 5, but on these 100+ days of temperature, it should have been. I am with you. Where would the world be if it had to languish in the hot sun struggling to think clearly when higher order thinking could be taking place in an air conditioned room?