Search This Blog

Monday, August 01, 2011

What's in the stream?


Where the Day Takes You was a movie from about 15 years ago. It was about teenagers and their escapades as they began a drug habit. The movie was very much in the stream of consciousness style. These young men and women just moved from one place to another smoking marijuana and then taking harder drugs. It was a good commentary for the way the drug habit is formed and progresses to more serious drug taking. The terrible toll it took on the teens was the main message and an effective one at that.

I used to think that one of the messages of the movie, that of not taking control of a day, worked against a person, so that aimlessness was the result. As it turns out, no one really has control of a day. Sometimes it goes as planned, but more often than not, it doesn't. It is my reaction to the day that makes or breaks the day. So, many times, I just let the day take me somewhere. Sometimes, I work a plan, and occasionally it turns out according to that plan. But, most days...

If I look back, I know where my very happiest days were. Living in the moments of those days was easy; I was high on life like I never have been. I know retracing steps is not where a day takes a person. But, if days like that are anywhere close to where my future days would take me... What I wouldn't give!

No comments: