Search This Blog

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Confluence

10,000 years ago a tsunami crashed into the eastern coast of the Mediterranean.  At least that was the theory of an Italian archaeologist.  No one believed him.  So, he set out to find his evidence to prove his case.  He found villages on the eastern side of the sea that are underwater now, but that had been above water at some point.  He found artifacts at those settlements and dated them - no surprise - to the 9th century BCE.  He also found that the water of the Mediterranean had been at lower levels during the 9th century BCE that would allow the settlements to be above water.  He found evidence off the coast of Italy in the ocean floor that a plate in the crust had moved about the same time.  He found a confluence of evidence all pointing to the truth of his case.

One can look at my life and draw some conclusions.  One is that in my 20s I was certainly a different person than I am now.  A quick interview of some my friends then would certainly tell that tale.  One could also ask me about impact people in my life.  They could hear their names and see the trails of their influence in my life and work.  My Greek professor in college was one of those people.  And a person can see his influence in every decade of my vocation and avocation.  But there was a tsunami that left its mark on everything I think and do now.  I doubt that people would see it and believe it at the moment.  It takes a while for evidence to mount.  However, a day will come when people will have a confluence of evidence that my Earth's floor suddenly moved a couple of years back, setting a wave in motion that crashed the shore on the other side of the sea.

I am not sad about it.  It was a beautiful event.  The life I have after is so much better.  In fact, I bask in the hope of a splash to come.

No comments: