Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Star scenes

Franz Mesmer lived at the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th.  He developed a new theory for the world called animal magnetism.  His great test case came when he tried to heal a blind woman, a young musician.  Many thought he was a charlatan for so doing.  But he was merely trying to direct the body's energy to one area in order to heal that area.  To do so, he asked her to concentrate, trance style, on the area needing healing.

This method came to bear his name in English as a verb when people wanted to mesmerize someone.  However, the term hypnotize became more popular in the late 1800s, so mesmerize took on a new meaning - to hold someone spellbound.

Tonight, a glance at the night sky holds my eyes there.  It engages my thought.  It directs my body's energy to my fascination of space, and by association, the fascination of those times that have given my life its happiness.  I have been mesmerized.  Reality returns, but not before the stars have bathed my thoughts with spellbinding, healing visuals of the one who inspires me.

No comments: