Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

In all the way

Sometimes we act or change our actions based on perspective.  That's why education is important to give a population of people.  Education let's us know what is important to a lot of people (the norms) and what is important to a few people (the extremes).  Education provides perspectives from a number of points of view and from a number of different disciplines.  We all settle on which of the norms we want to see things from or which extreme, but at least we have an idea how far away from the middle we may be.  Experience is a corollary to education.  It's just that education allows us to experience life through books and artificial situations to get ahead of the normal learning curve that life supplies so freely.

When I learned a second language, I did everything I could to learn it.  I even went to some events where mostly the second language was spoken.  But, after seeing life from the perspectives included in the culture of the second language, I decided I liked the point of view I had before immersing myself in the second language.  But, at least I had a better idea where my point of view lay on the Bell curve and how many people I didn't share that view with. 

On the other hand, when we participate in something and have an emotional attachment, all bets are off.  Perspective is based on the heart, on the strength of an attachment, not the perspective that education provides.  Passion drives us to perspectives that we wish for or that we want again or that give us pleasure of some sort.

When I was young, I was told to make a list when making a major decision, keeping pros on one side and cons on the other.  Now I know that is a really simplified version of how people make decisions or develop perspectives.  Now I know that people consult their perspectives first.  They see the ramifications of something based on facts from education or experience, and they see other ramifications if acting from merely an emotional attachment.

Anymore, I know that I will base most decisions on checking ramifications against education and experience, but will act on those decisions based on strength of emotional attachment.  So, when I make a decision, you can know that I am in it heart and soul.

No comments: