Search This Blog

Monday, June 04, 2012

The idea is to be without pain

Healed is an interesting word in that it has different meanings to different people.  Some people merely use it to mean what makes them feel better than they did before, as in going to a spa for "healing therapy."  Some people mean that sickness is cured, it goes away either by medical treatment or it merely goes away because of what the body normally does with its immune system.  Still others use the term for a supernatural miracle cure that earthly medicine couldn't handle.

I've had holes in my heart before.  Those have healed.  Some of the holes were created years ago.  Time has certainly overlaid them with events to eclipse the previous ones.  Some have been created by family because of the kind of treatment received from someone close that shouldn't be shooting arrows.  I have learned to get past those through lowering my expectations.  Some are created by a spouse.  Those disappear by redefining love, kindness, intimacy,  or whatever idea caused the hole in the heart, to a definition different from what I held first.  Two people rarely have the same definition or even agree on a common definition for emotional terms like the three above.  So, that's generally how I have experienced healing.

In the ancient Hebrew way of thinking, there was a season for every activity under heaven - a time to love and a time to hate, a time to make war and a time to enjoy peace... and a time to see  injury inflicted and a time to see healing occurring.  I love the latter and try to be part of that process.  I don't see the supernatural kind.  I am not a doctor of medicine to help the medical kind happen either.  But, as far as making a wound (usually emotional) get better or go away, I can help with that or at least express happiness to someone when I see it happen.

For the walking wounded...  I'm with you all the way, whether or not you deal with healing like I do or like someone else.  I am working on a couple of wounds right now myself.  I know how you feel.

No comments: