Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2012

What about those outliers?

Scattergrams are useful for showing trends, progressions sometimes, norms sometimes, and continuous attempts at trying to replicate results.  If given a large sample, most points lie on the predictable course.  But, then there are those points that don't.  They lie far away from the trend or norm.  They can show a disruption of a pattern.  They're called outliers.

A person has a choice about outliers - discount them as just the exception to a much broader rule of behavior or find out what causes the point to be off the beaten path.  Sometimes, there are nice little surprises when one goes to the trouble to find the reason for the outlier's position off out of the norm.  They tell their own story.  And if lucky, one can see a separate pattern emerge from the outliers.

Our lives have a scattergram pattern to them.  Most events lie along a trend line as time passes.  That's because we mainly stay the same.  Our values don't change all that much.  Our location doesn't change all that much.  Our jobs, at least in type, don't change all that much.  But, now the outlying events off the trend line have interesting stories to tell as to why they are there.

One of my outliers is the blackest dot on the page because something unnatural happened - the death of a child.  Another of my outliers is the brightest, most colorful dot on the page because the loveliest of all things happened.  Both dots changed the direction of the trend line although they were opposite in nature.  I'm very glad my story didn't end after the blackest dot happened because the bright, colorful dot happened in time after the blackest dot.  But, if my story should end now, I am satisfied that I have seen the best life has to offer.

There may be more outliers on my chart, but I seriously doubt they could top either of the two events that have changed my life.  Only one event that I could think of would top the two that have happened.  It would be a progression changing outlier if it were to happen.  Perhaps...

No comments: