Search This Blog

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Simple and fulfilling

I read a story once to my son and daughter when they were in elementary school called The Big Jump.  It was about a little boy who owned a puppy in the days when kings ruled from castles.  The little boy would always bring his dog with him when the king would make announcements to his people.  And, the little boy would always be amazed how the king would appear in his window one moment to see that the people had gathered below, then disappear for about a minute and reappear from the top of the castle to make his announcement.  How could the king go from one place to another seemingly magically.

One day as the boy was listening to the king, the boy's puppy wiggled loose from the boy's arms and ran away from him.  The boy began looking and calling the puppy's name.  The boy ended up at the back of the king's castle where he finally heard his puppy's familiar bark.  The puppy was perched at the top of the wall at the top of the castle.  How did he get up there, the boy thought.  Then he noticed that steps zig-zagged upward from the ground all the way to the top.  Now, he knew the secret of how the king got from the window to the top of the castle so quickly.  It wasn't magic.  It was simply one step at a time.  His puppy had revealed what people couldn't see from the front of the castle.

I have several goals in my life at the moment.  One of them I reached yesterday.  It brought a smile to my face.  This particular goal is in four 6-month increments, and to reach the increments in consecutive 6-month periods, I will have to do exactly as the king and the puppy - climb one step to get to the next, to get to the next, etc.  In 18 months from now, I should be looking down from the top of the castle.  I'll be smiling... but it really is as simple as climbing one step and then another till I reach the top.  Simplicity revealed, but a monumental task achieved.

No comments: