Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Kingly- but not perfect


I think, sometimes, that I am living as a king would have lived during earlier eras. I have more clothes in my closet than I really need. I have more shoes than most earlier people had in a lifetime. I live in comfort during both winter and summer so that whether it's 100 degrees or 10 degrees, I sleep in total and absolute comfort. On any given day, I am certain that I have access to more food, whether it is by having money to spend at any restaurant I so choose or the number of items I have in my refrigerator and pantry, than most people of any era or any area of the world. I can travel faster and farther than nearly anyone who lived before my time if I wanted to purchase a ticket to fly.

In terms of having access to knowledge, it is unprecedented for me to be able to access whatever I want to know in whatever field I choose. I can view Mars from a device I hold in my hands, recover from laparoscopic surgery in a matter of days, control what happens in my car or house without being inside either one, and see my cousin while talking even though we live in towns hundreds of miles apart. I can't even imagine living at any previous time, not even as a king, not even as the emperor of Rome or the pharaoh of Egypt.

If I could only add one matter of the heart to this world, it would be perfect beyond what any human deserves. I really, really should be satisfied... but satisfaction eludes me for now. I live in a world only dreamed of by so many now and by all who have come before; still, I strive for perfection in that matter of the heart... one day perhaps...

No comments: