Search This Blog

Friday, August 09, 2013

The hand that's dealt

There are competing theories about dreams.  One is that people dream all the time.  They just don't remember them.  Brainwave activity determines whether or not a person is dreaming.  The other is that a dream is only a dream if it is remembered, even if only briefly, when a person comes to full consciousness.  I don't know which is correct.  I prefer to think the latter is correct since no one can yet explain if the brain activity is meaningful or not.

Lately, I have been dreaming a lot, meaning that I have had remembered dreams.  I don't normally characterize my sleep as producing dreaming.  I have had a few along, sure, but it is not the rule.  Over the last week, I have had recurring dreams, and today, I had one that showed my great frustration.  It was a groundhog style dream.  The same activity kept happening over and over.  I could change the details if I didn't like the outcome of the time before.  Crazy dreaming.  I kept having to sit in the backseat of a car and come to a stop at a stop sign.  Now, that is tricky to hit the brake from the back seat, but I remember four distinct times having to do just that.  Cars were pressuring from behind, nearly hitting me, and ready to smash into me if I didn't successfully stop.

I don't know if every little thing in the dream has symbolic value, but given that the mind rumbles around ideas to create different scenarios as possible outcomes, I think that the week's dreams have dealt with my inability to direct reality, particularly the one today, or to accept reality.  I have a different idea of what I want my reality to be than the way it has worked out actually being.

My dreams will probably subside when I become more accepting.  I can more openly accept my reality or I can more doggedly pursue changing my reality.  I can't unilaterally control what my reality is, so trying to do so would never change my dreams.  Becoming more accepting is not really appealing.  I'll figure it out.  My next dream should have a few more symbolic details in it that will help me.

No comments: