Search This Blog

Monday, December 08, 2014

Blue hair evening


I walked up to order my tacos from the waiting cashier.  It was not a chain restaurant but a place my daughter wanted me to visit with her.  My daughter turned to me and asked me if I wanted tacos. "They're bison tacos.  I'm getting two.  Do you want two?"

"Sure," I replied.

The cashier punched in the order.  She had long, blue hair.  Six rhinestone studs dotted the middle of her face - one on each nostril, one below each nostril, one above each corner of her mouth.  She was very competent, and we were finished ordering in no time.

After the meal, we walked to a store called Hey Sugar.  Now that was a really different experience.  They had 20 different kinds of popcorn, from the regular, buttered popcorn to cashew caramel, cotton candy, and cilantra chile popcorn.  They had about the same number of odd combinations of flavors of jelly beans as well.  And the chocolate counter had some normal and abnormal combinations too.  I ended up buying some malt balls that were called bacon, toffee malt balls.  M-m-m-m, delicious.  I left after ordering (and drinking) a cafe latte milkshake.  Delicious too.

What a different kind of night, thanks to my daughter.  Looks and eats out on the fringe.  I like those kinds of evenings.  They help me know where the center of living is, but they also help me enjoy the edge even if I don't live on it.  Bison, blue hair, and bacon malt balls.  What a way to stretch my horizons!  I'm  better for having done it.

No comments: