Search This Blog

Monday, February 09, 2015

Good advice


I was listening to Danielle Bradbery's new album and a particular line in her song, I'll Never Forget You, caught my attention.  In the song's first verse she has the line "take it one tear at a time."  I often hear people say "take it one step at a time."  During the NFL season, players and coaches alike speak to the press and use the phrase, "one game at a time."  Alcoholics Anonymous has made the phrase famous, "take one day at a time."  I have even heard psychologists tell clients, "take one year at a time."

The whole first verse says, "Sooner or later, they say, it all gets easier.  Take it one tear at a tme."

I remember vividly a conversation with a colleague who asked about how things work out in life.  I answered that precious few things work out.  I suppose that some people have a different experience of life, but I have never really had success with any plan of mine working out how I had imagined it in the first place.  Some of that is due to my limited vision of what I wanted to have happen, but even when I could see the whole plan, life didn't really happen in that fashion.

I have had some great moments in life without a doubt.  And there have been some steps, games, days, and years that have provided great memories.  But, when talking about life as a whole with all of its stages and phases, I think the line in this song captures the essence of my experience.  It's true that life gets easier, but that is only because you learn how to respond and react better to tearful situations.

It's good advice for life... take it one tear at a time.

No comments: