Search This Blog

Monday, August 31, 2015

How things have rolled

From time to time I get to see people after a hiatus of several years.  It's always interesting to catch up and see what has happened, how things were dealt with, and what the outcomes have been.


I ate lunch with a friend today that I have known since I was in 7th grade.  We have periodically kept in touch, so we don't have to catch up in ten year leaps, but it has been interesting to see how things have turned out for him after all these many years.  In the last two years his two children have both married, so he had to spend a whole lot more time with his ex-wife than was bearable at times.  Over the last 12 years he returned to what he wanted to do in life the most - coach basketball at the high school level.  And before that he owned several businesses after starting out from college as a banker.

One of his real talents is with investments.  So, he has done well over the years dabbling with different entrepreneurial ventures and putting money in building value with various instruments. Most surprising to me, however, has been to watch his philosophy of life.  In high school, I was raised in a more conservative home than he was.  Over the years, he and I have switched places completely.  Now, he has become really worried about society's values, and has opted personally for a devout religious life.  My bent has been to liberalize most of my views and to opt for a more open religious life.

Nonetheless, we had a great time talking about everything under the sun, parting friends, and pledging to eat lunch again soon.  These kinds of days are the way life should be rolling.

No comments: