Search This Blog

Monday, August 31, 2015

The stuff of movies


Where was I?  I stood at the front door.  They were made of heavy metal and locked from the inside.  20 feet glass panels were on either side of the doors.  Through the doors I could see students eating at cafeteria tables.  They could also see me, but no one moved an inch to allow me to enter.  Faculty members with badges on lanyards around their necks also walked past the door.  I punched a button on the wall next to the door, and answered the voice that asked me what my business was.  Click. The door had been remotely unlocked.

I walked past the students eating lunch to a reception area, showed them my ID, received a lapel guest sticker for my shirt pocket and waited for my party to show up.  I accompanied him to a classroom but had to change buildings on the way.  The doors behind us in the first building shut,  and I heard the click again of the door locking.  Across a courtyard we had to enter the second building.  My friend whipped out his ID badge and tapped the scanner to show that we were authorized to enter.

We went to his office, unlocked the door for him to get a piece of paper he needed, then departed the building for his car, the door to the building locking behind us.  We left in his car from his designated parking spot, stopped at a gate that he opened with a remote opener, and left for about an hour to eat lunch.

Upon returning, we went through the gate using the remote opener again, parked in the designated spot, tapped the scanner with the ID badge to reenter, then walked to his second story classroom.  I visited the bathroom on the way.  I opened the bathroom door, entered, and the door clicked lock behind me.  It had all the automatic amenities - flushing toilet, water spout motion sensor, automatic towel dispenser, and something I had never seen before... but why not in this building.  To dispose of the towel, I had to wave it in front of the disposal receptacle so that its cover automatically opened for me to deposit my used paper towel and automatically shut after the towel was dropped in.

I joined my friend in his room and sat in front of the newest version of a smart board which  was the focal point on the wall at the front of room.  He and I visited, then left, but not without scanning our way through locked doors of two buildings, retracing our steps to the receiving desk where I had started my visit in order to check out, then leaving the building, the door clicking behind me to lock it remotely.
 
Where in the world was I? One would think that I was visiting my friend in a high security prison.  But no - it was just a good ole American high school.  It was renovated and parts of it newly built, but it was certainly a state-of-the-art, extremely high tech building.  I was informed that next school year the cafeteria was going to be converted into a technology court that would replace the library.

Easily this school could have been used in a science fiction movie for a future school.  I plan on returning to see this futuristic library next year.  I don't know that it is the most 21st century school in the country, but it might be.  For sure, it is one of the 3 safest places I have ever visited. 

No comments: