Search This Blog

Sunday, December 05, 2004

Empty drum seat

I developed a picture today. I'm standing at a doorway looking across a room. Halfway across the room is an electronic drum set. The camera is located in the farthest corner from the doorway to capture the whole scene. No one is sitting behind the drum set. The young man who played those drums is absent from this world. He played them so very well, professionally sometimes. But his drum beat is with the Creator now. Clearly as I stood at the doorway, I was looking at the drum seat as if the player was still sitting there. An indescribable anguish causes my human, 3D mind to still want to see the player. But, an underlying ecstasy very quickly follows the anguish. I have to think the void left is filled with someone not far behind in age who will continue drumming, professionally even, while the former player has been freed from living in a world that needs his music. His new residence is in a place where no music is needed to soothe aching souls and miserable minds. I cannot tangibly see him in his new residence anymore than I can see him behind the drum set in the picture. But, I have a better understanding of the Creator and his ways these days and a heightened trust that many rooms exist in His house. I plan on taking the room next to the young drummer.

No comments: