Search This Blog

Monday, December 20, 2004

Redirection

Sometimes events in our lives or words with others take away our ability to live life decently. It is then that we can turn to what comes natural for us. Some call what comes natural a talent, others call it our training. Whatever it is, turning to it helps return the sanity, the even-keeledness to our lives. Translating Greek can do this for me. So it was this morning after words with another and an event transpiring the way I would not have it transpire threw me off my course to live decently. In lieu of attending a speech that might have some value in adjusting my attitude, I turned to translating. I found solace in seeing what someone else in another time and place had said and how he said it. The words translated did not necessarily apply directly to my situation, but they did restore order in my own mind, returning me to a more even-keeled way of thinking. It gave me energy, it told me that I could do one thing in the world well, and it reframed my thoughts to decent status. Sometimes, when I am lonely, I think that translating Greek is something I trained for that had no purpose in my modern world. But, living sanely is purpose enough, even if I find no other avenue for translating. So, I am thankful for knowing a language that can redirect my purposeful living at times.

No comments: