Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Learning theory

Learning theory is interesting. What we learn is based solely on our motivation, our interests, our personality, and our opportunities. I am wondering if that applies to the spiritual side of our lives as well. Probably does. That would mean that what we develop as values and beliefs depends in part on our personality. Diversity in values among people then makes sense. It would also mean that values depend on interests. I know this to be true. I look around and see that if people differ from me in interest level on some issue, then they don't have my value on their radar screens. I definitley see how motivation plays into value judgments. People make exceptions all the time even if they say they have the same values that I have. And no one would think that opportunity and values are not related. At some point, experience plays into the mix of learning—telling us that we need to continue learning something or that nothing more is necessary to learn. Understanding learning theory makes me a better spiritualist. I realize more every day that each person's track is different from any one else's track. That's liberating. I am responsible for my own motivation, interest, personality, opportunity, and experience. I cannot change any of the 5 for anyone else. I can only control my own track if it lies in the future or present. My only regret is that my past stretches for miles behind me. I just might make it Home if I can retain this information from moment to moment.

No comments: