Search This Blog

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Know thyself

I noticed today that some very educated people made some very ungrammatical statements. Fortunately, they were not trying to teach grammar. But they were presenting a program and representing a university. They were trying to gain the trust of the group I was a part of. I also noticed that the ungrammatical parts of their speech came at the same spot every time. That just means that the region or era or both that we grew up in marks us.

I know what marks speech, but I wonder what other areas of life leave their marks all over us. Probably childhood environment. Probably beliefs of parents and personalities of siblings. Probably the friends we chose. Ad infinitum. No wonder that adults are referred to as products of their environments.

I wish figuring out life were as simple as identifying what we are marked by. This identification is definitely a starting place in the journey of knowing ourselves. The next step is to know how we fit the bigger picture. That's another blog, though.

No comments: