Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The enemy paradox

Sometimes the enemy is one who is least expected. People get close, learn all they can, and fire away. It's sad, but it happens at times when least needed. The master teacher said to "pray" for such individuals. He doesn't say what to pray for them. If "request" is meant by prayer, then I request that their plans be exposed, thwarted. If "carry on a conversation" is meant by prayer, then I would like to explain my position and ask how in the world that position needs to be brought down or attacked. If "ask a blessing" is meant by prayer, then I simply make that request and leave it in the hands of the judge of all to take action. I'm not in control of my enemies, so I guess I will trust the Maker of those enemies to deal with them justly (and me for that matter).

Matthew 5
43 < 44But now I tell you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may become the children of your Father in heaven. For he makes his sun to shine on bad and good people alike, and gives rain to those who do good and to those who do evil. 46Why should God reward you if you love only the people who love you? Even the tax collectors do that! 47And if you speak only to your friends, have you done anything out of the ordinary? Even the pagans do that! 48 R52 You must be perfect---just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

No comments: