Search This Blog

Sunday, January 07, 2007

A mere speck of sand

Sometimes we get caught up in living for the moment. I certainly am guilty of that. Then like tonight, I watch a science documentary of the eras of the earth. That makes my puny number of years lived on this earth a grain of sand in comparison. It's hard to imagine the immensity of the universe, the number of years the earth has been around, the number of terrains extant on the plot of land my house sits on, or how many more number of terrains into the future that those alive then will see that I don't. But, what is not hard to imagine is the small impact any single life has. Even the people history has designated as great, really have no impact except in an era that will disappear into oblivion. Who were the great people of 25,000 years ago or 5000 years ago? What criteria made them great? What was their daily life like? What did they think of when they thought of the Creator? Did He communicate with them? How? But even if I knew, I would see the changes in that just like a geologist does the earth or the astromer does the heavens.

So, getting caught up in the moment will probably happen again to me. But, I have plenty of reminders that my space of a speck of sand is not that important. So, I just need to focus on the path in front of me that leads me through my era to another place prepared for me.

No comments: