Search This Blog

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Toll, please


I shed tears these days a little more often than I did when I was a young man. Perhaps that means I am more sensitive about the human condition. I hope so. I find that I don't watch nearly as many scenes from movies or TV that offend this newly found sensitivity. I think the tears also come because I understand more of what is involved when things go awry.


The other night in bed, after lights were completely out, I was listening to one of the most beautiful songs of the Christmas season pulsing out the fact that God expressed good will to people. I'd heard those words before, of course, even though the song was new. This time, though, I understood the human side of the matter. Humans don't want good will toward God or fellow human beings. It was really sad. In the particular mindset I had that night I could see the ill will humans have in the arena of betrayal. The Maker, I know, experiences it everyday, as do many humans. But, it touched me that night. Tears were shed. I saw betrayal among humans. I couldn't quite hold back the tears for the toll it takes on a life.

No comments: