Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Like a walk along the oceanside


I have received conflicting messages througout my life.

"An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth."
"If someone slaps you on the left cheek, turn the other to him also."

"Look out for yourself. No one else will."
"Look at the flowers of the field. They don't work or try to live... and yet they are taken care of."

"Plan your work. Work your plan."
"Take no thought for tomorrow. Tomorrow has enough worries of its own."

"Beware of strangers."
"Whoever gives a cup of water to the least of my brothers, gives it to me."

"Live one day at a time."
"Who among you goes into battle without first counting the cost."

I guess there is a lot of wisdom there - both worldly and spiritually. But, I have to adopt a world view of some sort that does not teeter back and forth between principles. Conflict doesn't get a person very far down the road if it lasts a long time. So, I find practical applications of a mixture of the principles above, remove their points of conflict, ply them into my fabric as I mature, and live contentedly and at peace with the Maker and humanity. Contentment and peace, after all, are gifts for us to enjoy with those who join us on our daily paths. May it always be so.

No comments: