Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Trying the incredulous


The following story I heard in my 20s, but it has stuck with me because it represents both the hope a person has in controlling what may happen next in life and the spontaneity that occurs when new opportunities present themselves because opportunities have to be nabbed as they come to us, before they have a chance to pass and go by the wayside.  The story is set in medieval times.

Two prisoners were passing time in a dungeon.  After several years the king sent a messenger to one of the prisoners to let him know that the next day had been set as his day of execution.  The prisoner insisted on a personal audience with the king as his last request.  The messenger reminded him that kings didn't visit prisoners of his sort.  The prisoner kept insisting.  The messenger told the prisoner he would relay the request but not to get his hopes up and to prepare for his last day on earth.

To everyone's amazement, the king came to visit the prisoner.  "What is worth my time for a dead man's last request?"  The king spoke sharply.  The prisoner replied, "King, I have a proposition.  If you will grant me a reprieve of one year, I will teach your horse to fly during that time.  Imagine what amazing feats would await your majesty if your horse could fly."  The king blurted, "You can't teach my horse to fly!"  The prisoner retorted, "You will never know if you execute me tomorrow how amazing your reign could be."  The king paused, twirled to leave, and commandingly motioned with his hand.  "Your wish is granted.  You have one year exactly."

The dungeon mate of the prisoner had been incredulous during the whole episode.  After the king left, he told his friend, "I can't believe what I just heard from you or the king!  You know that you can't teach the king's horse to fly!"  The prisoner replied, "You didn't expect me to make the request in the first place, and you certainly didn't expect the king to visit the dungeon of two low-life prisoners.  I would expect you to think that I couldn't teach the king's horse to fly.  A person can't tell what is going to happen next.  But even if I don't teach the king's horse to fly, I get one more year to live.  In the meantime, the king could die or the horse could die.  And who knows, I might just teach the horse to fly."


No comments: