Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Hiatus in the flow of time


100 million years pass before diamonds are ready for the Earth to produce its most precious gem - the diamond. I don't have any diamonds, but I have seen them before. They're precious because there is a finite supply of them, and they take so long to produce. When they're polished, they shine a spectrum of colors. They have value above all other gems. The closer to colorless, or a slight blue tint, the diamond is, the higher the value of the diamond. The yellower the tint of the diamond, the lower the value of the diamond. The higher the carat weight of the diamond, the more value it has also. Most diamonds are cut with 58 facets, but those with less are less in value. Then there is the shape, but that is a matter of preference, not value.

About a year ago, I was around one of the most flawless of all diamonds. It was beautiful beyond imagination... the perfect shape, cut, carat weight, and color... perfect.

It was one of those pauses in time where I knew that I was around 100 million years in the making. Other gems like emeralds, sapphires, onyxes, and rubies, are pretty, but they are not the diamond I saw, they were not 100 million years in the making, they don't pause time, and I would have no interest in them. Only one diamond has captured my interest... and if I had to wait another 100 million years to be around that diamond, it would be worth the wait.

No comments: