Search This Blog

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Pickin' and grinnin'


Once in a while I get to write songs with a cousin who writes and sings country and western songs and sends them to Nashville. Over the last 5 years he and I get together 3 or 4 times a year to write songs. I leave the singing and playing to him and his group. He also makes demo CDs to send to Nashville. I've only had one song sent there out of the ones we have composed, but soon two more will be sent. Here is a preview of verse one and the chorus of one of the songs my cousin and I wrote together.

Alll kinds of pickin' goin' on
Pickin' peas, pickin' corn,
Pickin' hats and dresses and birthday gifts,
Pickin' up those kids, pickin' out their clothes,
Pickin' at those strings on a new banjo,
But all that pickin's not the same,
As pickin' stars from your eyes - pickin' you.

Chorus:
I can pick a college, or ring, or some clothes to put on,
I can pick peaches, pecans, or some healthy nut bar,
But the most major pick of all is the one where I shine,
I pick you time after time after time.

There are a couple of verses and a bridge besides what is written above. It's kind of fun writing songs. And it is really inspiring when I write and later hear the tune and full instrumentation of the words he and I have composed. I hope you hear this song a year or so from now as you're listening to the radio on your way to work.

And I hope everyone has had the highest form of pleasure of picking that one person who lights up her life... who makes him happy above all others... who adds spring to her step... who becomes a part of his fabric... who inspires music in the heart... every time that one person comes to mind... and time after time after time after that.


No comments: