Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

The inner guide


Chris Young's lyrics in his song I Hear Voices represents a great principle of psychology.  The original term used in the discipline was inner talk or self talk.  There are various other terms now used, but the idea is the same.  "Voices" is as good a term as any.  It represents what guides our actions and decision making.

I know what guides me in these ways.  There are fewer and fewer decisions made and actions taken that I have to think about for any length of time.  It's easier too project outcomes or plausible scenarios.  There is a logic this line of thinking follows.  Computer programmers have dealt with loops and nested loops for years - the "if => then" loop.

I think the voices have changed for me over the years.  Experience does that for a person.  But I still have voices I listen to.  The self talk is more assured.  Every day I act and make decisions.

"Yeah, I hear voices all the time."



No comments: