Search This Blog

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Truth - maybe

I listen to a radio station that gives little ditties for blurbs throughout the day.  They are supposed to be humorous, sometimes sarcastic.  A person pretends to be a caller speaking to an answering machine.  Every blurb starts off with "Hey Jack."  Today's blurb was supposed to be funny, but it had that ring of truth in it where humor eases the pain of hearing something profound.

"Hey Jack, today I found the truth, but it didn't make any sense."


This has certainly been my experience over the last 20 years.  People's truths seem to be contradictory sometimes, or incomplete, disconnected from reality, shallow, unproven, or notional.  Even the hardest core truths from my teenage years and early 20s now seem oversimplified and untrue. Certainly they were untested.  The landscape is different now.

I'm not saying I have found the truth because sometimes truth comes in multiples. Truth now seems so relative, a lot less absolute.  And, I've found that my truth doesn't make sense always with what other people find to be true.  Imagine that.

No comments: