Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Not by sight

The wind is blowing a gale outside at the moment. I feel safe on the inside hearing it pummel the house. Safety is something we all count on from one day to the next. But I also know that in the case of the wind, I am safe from something I cannot see, only hear. If I were out in it, I could feel it also. Two of my senses tell me that it is windy. Most of the time I think we depend almost wholly on what we can see. In that way we can know something is happening. But there are only two other ways available to know it is windy. Sight is excluded.

Perhaps, in the other dimension, our sight is excluded. We can only know by other ways of knowing. Whether I am in tune with the other dimension might only come through a sensitivity to reading the actions of those around us or to seeing abstract ideas like kindness being given an opportunity in our own actions. The Son of Man made a comparison to the wind once. He also noted that we couldn't see it, but we could see evidence of it, which is parallel to matters of the spirit. Touche.

No comments: