Search This Blog

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Thumbs up or down?

Academic types and business types don't get to be together too much. When the two worlds come together, it's many times awkward. Business types are very pragmatic. Academic types are pretty ethereal. Business types are focused on the goal or bottom line. Academic types are focused on the exploration of paths to get to a bottom line, if one exists at all. So, if the two types should ever meet, there is either a true appreciation of the other because neither could exist easily in the other one's world. Or there is World War III because they look at matters so differently that they can't agree on what is important.

I have two acquaintances that are one of each. With one I have World War III every time, with the other annual bonding trips to some entertaining region of the state. One is a true friend, the other a wolf in sheep's clothing. Both profess Christianity. One accepts me as I am. The other rejects me as a heretic. When the Maker looks down and sees such a threesome, I wonder what goes on in his mind? Does he see worth and dignity? Or does he see uselessness and disgust? I guess I'll just have to ask him tonight when I walk in the park. I'm anticipating a clear answer to this one.

No comments: