Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Lasting prints

When I walk in the park in the mornings, I pass two imprints in the concrete. One is the shape of a tiny frog. I don't really know how it made an imprint in the concrete. Its tiny shape could not have weighed enough for there to be an imprint. No one could really carve the imprint into the cement to look so exactly like the tiny shape. But it's there whenever I walk, and I marvel at it each time.



The other imprint is three-fourths of the way into the lap. It's a perfectly formed leaf, veins and all. It's about an inch long and has every feature of the leaf as if it were real just without color. If someone had stepped on the leaf, it would have crumbled into pieces. If the wind were blowing, the leaf would have blown off the cement, never to leave an imprint. I really don't know how a light leaf could have stayed on the walking path long enought to be perfectly encrusted.



When I look at my heart, I see the imprints of various events, places, and people. Obviously the beach made an imprint because I ended 4 blogs about it just four blogs ago. I have mentioned various friends or influential adults in my blogs as well who made an imprint on me. And, I have mentioned places like Wyoming or the lake where I have a place. Sometimes, I just want to return to them to see their beauty.

I don't know how some imprints get there or stay there, but they are there, in my heart, ready for recall. But I do know the story of a recent imprint that daily fills my thoughts. It took a little while to form, but it has remained indelibly cast after it did. What a source of solace for a heart that draws on the form embedded nearest to it.

No comments: