Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The standouts


I am reading a book right now written by a couple of cognitive scientists. They are writing with the express purpose of letting brain studies inform education. That should not be such a novel idea since education is based on what the brain can learn. However, even these scientists lament the fact that education and cognitive science have not been talking to each other. Once the two communicate, there is no telling what the outcome might be.

I find that life is many times like education and cognitive science. One decade of life doesn't inform the next. The twenties don't inform the forties; the teens don't extend anything to the 30s. Not everything from every decade is important enough to play forward into another decade. But, I do know that as I look backward, some things stand out, and I wish that I could bring something forward from a decade past, or I see something in the current decade that I know stands out because I have never seen anything like it before. I just want it to last forever because it is head and shoulders above anything I have experienced before.

How I wish that I could surround myself with the standouts-the things that I should have brought forward or the recent experience that is head and shoulders above anything else and would want it to last forever into the decades to come.

No comments: