Search This Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mental meandering along a shoreline


When I take vacations, I am attracted to the mountains and to the water. I really don't like vacations in cities. I like the more open spaces. So, when I go to the mountains, I seek those out-of-the-way cabins, away from the madding crowd. And, when I go to the ocean, I love to walk along the shoreline, waves lapping across the tops of my feet. If I could go this summer, I would go this time to the ocean.

I love the way the horizon stretches out from one end of the ocean to the other, nothing but refreshing water in sight, a hint of salt in the air, the gentle breeze through my hair and across the cheeks of my face. It inspires me to think of all that could be. It reminds me of all that has been. It instills within me a vision of what has been good in my life and all that could be a part of any future horizons.

The sand that gives way below my feet is comforting. It cushions my every step. It tingles as the sand gives way and allows me to walk more slowly as if to soak in every beautiful moment of the present, every sensational moment of the recent past. It helps to conjure every moment of laughter that meant so much, every vision that captured the hope of things to come.

So comforting... so alluring... so fully refreshing... the beach.

No comments: