Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2010

Drops of refreshment


Today was the hottest day of the summer so far - heat index of 111, temperature of 105. I was proofing some documents for work looking out the window as I was doing so. The sun was still shining and it was hot even inside the house. From nowhere rain began hitting the ground, the house, my car, the porch - big, big drops of rain. The drops were falling from the merest wisp of a slightly gray-tinted cloud. Momentum began making the drops fall in ever increasing amounts until in five minutes a real torrent was pouring from the sky that was only slightly overcast on only one part of it. In another five minutes it quit. No lightning, no thunder, just 10 minutes worth of a downpour.

I had gone outside during the torrent. The smell was so refreshing. I kept breathing in deeply because I couldn't get enough of the refreshment. It was life-giving to the ground that needed it desperately. It was life-giving to me in the midst of a sweltering day.

Not long ago my life received rain amidst its desolation. It restored me. I am thankful and refreshed and still breathing in deeply.

No comments: