Search This Blog

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Tide cycles

Recently I got to see the tide ebb and flow on a coastline. It was really beautiful. The waves would begin rolling in and crashing against the rocks. The waves would eventually grow stronger, striking with forceful crests. As time passed, the tide would begin to recede and the waves' strength would weaken. All of this with seagulls peering down into the water as they flew above it. Occasionally, they would dive down till they hit the water, then fly away with a fish in their beaks. Crabs would crawl in the foam left behind by the crashing water no matter what the level of water was. All the other water creatures carried on as if they did not notice a high tide/low tide cyle.

I was visiting with a friend about the dramatic events that happen in one's life and how that changes a lot of things. Life has cycles to it much like the tides in the ocean. And, many times people react to the cycles as the water creatures do - as if nothing different is happening. But, for me, in the last 7 years, there have been 2 dramatic events both of which changed me in many, many ways. One happened 7 years ago, one 18 months ago. The first laid the groundwork for the second. The first allowed me to know that one must make the best use of time because a person cannot tell what is around the corner. Thus, as far as it has to do with me, I need to live justly, decently, surrounding myself with the things and people that will create happiness. The second allowed me to know that life can be vibrant and full of verve. As convoluted and unpleasant as life can be sometimes, it matters who is around you and who you allow into your psyche.

No comments: