Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Believing, then adjusting


In the background tonight I am hearing the wind chimes on the back porch. I didn't think the wind was blowing, so I checked the chimes to make sure my ears were not making anything up. No, the chimes were moving in the wind. So, I peeked out the front door to verify that trees were blowing in the wind. The tops of the trees were moving slightly. So, I checked the Weatherbug app on my phone. Yes, the wind is blowing 13 knots.

That sounds like much ado about nothing. Why all the double and triple checking? I have to be sure, of course, because I didn't think the wind was blowing. It wasn't the last time I had been outside.

We all filter our information and make adjustments as we go based on the information we gather. Especially if it contradicted the last condition we knew to be true. But, adjustments have to be made. I came in the house about 2 1/2 hours ago in calm air. Now I still hear the wind chimes' beautiful ringing due to the wind. I have to admit the wind is blowing now.

Making those types of adjustments on more important matters goes through the same process. One of those important matters is my happiness. Some of the things I gave much time to and received satisfaction from have changed. Maybe at first I didn't believe it, but now I certainly do. I have verified that too. Definitely what makes me happy now has changed from what it was earlier in my life.

The chimes in the background sound really beautiful tonight and would be even if I had not done all the checking on them. Ditto for the adjustment on the root of my happiness these days.

No comments: