Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Great meaning in an uncoined phrase


The phrase, "the winter of my discontent," is understood by nearly everyone whenever it is used whether or not one knows its original context. Funny... the opposite is not even a coined expression. I guess it would be "the summer of my great content," or "the summer of my greatest satisfaction."

I have one of those summers whether or not the expression has ever been coined. It was the summer I went to Canada. I went with my siblings, and the trip went well and I enjoyed the mountains of Canada greatly. But, as immensely satisfying as that experience was, there was another part of that trip that wasn't present with me that gave me the greatest satisfaction. It was what was contained in the deepest place within me, my fabric, that made the Canadian experience so bright. It was not the faces around me although they were pleasant enough. It was not in the rugged, jagged mountains that surrounded me although they were majestic and beautiful. It was an essence locked deeply within me that gave me my "summer of greatest satisfaction."

And that essence still satisfies me on a daily basis.

No comments: