Search This Blog

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Letting Scorpio center me


Looking at the sky from the front porch tonight, I was staring at the constellation Scorpio. It's the shape of stars known for its long tail. I'm enamored enough with the night sky with all of its constellations. But, tonight it seemed that Scorpio was shining a little more brightly. I'm sure that it was lower light level in town. But, I like to have my imagination run away sometimes. The Greek mythology behind Scorpio isn't consistent. It has at least 3 stories of how it got in the sky. None of the stories make a person love the scorpion. It is like the serpent in the creation story. People disdain scorpions as much as they do snakes. But tonight my thoughts were not about the scorpion's sting.

The location of the constellation is near the center of the Milky Way. And perhaps, that's why I couldn't lower my gaze tonight from looking at Scorpio. It signified things and people who anchor or center me. I was in need of that reminder tonight. A little time with the night sky put me at ease, calmed my soul, and touched my heart with the flash of a face.

No comments: