Search This Blog

Saturday, December 03, 2011

Ever after

I used to read The Frog Prince to my daughter when she was in her pre-school years.

She would listen raptly.  I don't think I was reading it for her to take notice that she might meet a guy that wasn't good looking, that if she would endure with him, then she would have the prince of her dreams.  Well, even if I had read it for that reason, it didn't work.  Marrying during adolescence prohibits a young girl to see anything but the outside.  But the Frog Prince is not about just masking appearance; it has everything to do with meeting someone who makes you so much more, so much better.  You know you have met that person when (s)he makes you feel like a prince(ss).  Through a series of hardships, she understands the principle now.

I still like the The Frog Prince because of what it teaches, so I find the principle of the story in music that inspires me.  I love Dierks Bentley's music because it feeds my soul in just that way.  He sings of the passionate spirit the frog had in pursuing the princess in Feel that Fire.  He writes of the magic the kiss brought about in the song Come a Little Closer.  And the lyrics to High upon the Ridge metaphorically recreate the story and show the frog appealing to the princess for the kiss that would turn him into a prince.  In return, the frog promises the moon.

Won't you come with me upon the ridge where moonlight drips into your eyes. I just want one little kiss when we get high upon the ridge.  The rest of the song implies that the frog became a prince, and he and the princess shared their passion.

Dierks is all about the inner fire that two people share, enjoying true love.  The magic of moonlight dripping into their eyes on a ridge ignites the two to be so much more.  And that spark leads to a sun to ride off into... happily without a doubt!


So much more... better.

No comments: