Search This Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sure, surer, surest

I had a professor once who would always stop when he was teaching about the stories of the ancient world and ask, "What is right? What is good?  What is true?"  Then he would apply the story to the modern world and ask the same three questions.  Many times the answer changed.  His point was to show that right and good and true were terms with relative meanings, depending on era and issue, or sometimes just era.  As life plays out, those are the three questions that have to be satisfied to live fully.  Even from one decade to another in my own life, the answer to those 3 questions change sometimes.  The trick is to align the 3 questions with the same answer.  That leads to being surer about matters.  Even then, the alignment can have a different answer when gauged just a few years apart.  Nevertheless, I think being sure just hinges on charting the direction with a satisfactory sense of right, good, and true and working to walk the path charted.  I have done this.  I am the surest I  have ever been.

No comments: