Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Treasures in thought (3)

In English and in a couple of the Romance languages and in Greek, the idea of the number of 3 represents truth and completeness.  This idea has popped up in books, so it is not just an individual observation.  I first came across this idea in 1978 in a book called Three Times and It's True.  In the 1990s, I encountered it again, this time in a book by a linguist who wrote about the legal application of having someone testify about matters in groups of three so the jury would gain a sense of completeness and truth.

In that vein, I want to say that people comment about my sleeping habits.  Some people say I never sleep.  Others say I don't seem to require much sleep.  But, I would like to say that that is a recent phenomenon for me.  I have always liked to sleep.  I require 7 hours and 20 minutes to feel rested.  I seldom get that much during the week, but the weekends are usually kind enough for me to catch up on the average hours for rest.  But it is also true that over the last 2 years, I have slept much less than the 7 hours and 20 minutes I need.  That's because of a striving in my mind.  I have many wonderful, colorful, beautiful, pleasant, desirable, and bright thoughts that are captured in my mind which lie unmaterialized.  Nevertheless, these thoughts bring great happiness, so I lie awake sorting through these wondrous images or write late at night because the happiness of these golden thoughts creates energy for the next day.  There will be a day when sleep will be deep, pleasurable, and long.  It's just not now.  In the meantime, I have an entire treasure trove of scenes to flash across the screen of my mind's eye that eventually leads to sleep (with a smile on my face, I might add).  This treasure trove gives me the energy to face the next day.  I know I have written about this treasure of sparkling times a 3rd time.  But, that makes it the immutable truth.

No comments: